Friday, September 4, 2015

Scale fast is over... I peeked

I don't know exactly what to say.... I was totally gung-ho and pumped about doing this "scale fast" idea aaaaaaaand... my curiosity got the better of me a few days ago. I made it 15 days without weighing myself. I focused on doing what I know to be healthy for my body. (i.e. the goals I mentioned in this post) Eat right. Work out. Be gentle on myself and not hate on my body. 

I was feeling SO good. Maybe even feeling a little lean? if thats even possible at 260something pounds. Like I said. My curiosity got the better of me and I pulled out the scale to hop on real quick. I was hopeful. I was expecting to see some pretty new numbers. Good things MUST be happening, right?!? Thats not at all what I saw at all. -3 pounds. womp womp womp. I mean, Really?!?!? I'm pretty sure some days I could burp and lose 3 pounds. (forgive me for that mental image. Thats not lady like) I re-checked, zero'd out the scale and re-checked again. Yup. 2 weeks. -3 pounds. Dead on at 260.0 pounds.... if I had waited another hour even I could have seen the 250s!!

Now its fantastic that I actually saw weight loss. I know I'm on the right track. I'm doing the right things. I'm not totally disappointed but just in the way my body was feeling... I expected more

So I picked myself up off the bathroom floor... ok not literally, I'm not THAT shallow... but mentally maybe I had to pick myself up a bit. Then I decided to finish what I had started. I got out my tape measure and took my measurements. I'm sure I have measurements from a long time ago as well, but this particular piece of paper has measurements taken on 7/17 - 9/3 Later on in the time period, I started measuring more body parts like my arms and calves. But just based on waist, hip, bust, thigh measurements... since 7/17, this girl has lost 10 inches. 10.freakin.inches.gone! Like, holy cow!... And thats when my whining stopped and I quit feeling sad. 


Say whatever science-y explanation fits best. You're gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe you just need to poop? Give it time, the scale will eventually catch up. Maybe its water weight? blah blah blah. I don't know why the scale only showed 3 pounds with all those inches lost, but I'm taking the high road and going to ignore it for now. 10 inches, y'all. I KNOW things are changing.

My legs are looking more toned. I'm stronger in my running. I'm not a fast runner, but I will try my hardest to be a better runner than I was yesterday. Not feeling like throwing myself into oncoming traffic as much as I did yesterday? check. There I said it. I'm a runner? I'm now working toward consistently calling myself a runner. (Pretty sure Hell just got a visit from Queen Elsa! You're welcome, sinners!) Its something the universe never thought would happen... something I never thought would happen. The words taste weird coming out of my mouth, but at the same time it feels good to keep speaking this challenge into existence. After all, keeping your wishes a secret just turns them into only dreams. Nothing more. Speaking them out loud starts turning those dreams into plans... and once those plans go onto the calendar... stuff starts happening. Those dreams become a reality. And me being a complete hot, gross, sweaty mess.... it feels good

I don't know what I'm going to do with the scale... for now, its back in my closet. I think I'll try and wait out a few more weeks till 9/17 to weigh again. Then... I don't know after that. I kind of like it not being a constant temptation on my bathroom floor and paying more attention to how I feel. Time will tell.

Quick recipe share.... because... YUM! & I could eat this for DAYS..... its THAT GOOD! (picture is totally not off some random blog. Its of my actual dinner plate! looks fabulous, doesn't it?)



Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients:
  • 3 large sweet potatoes
  • 2 tsp olive oil - or avocado oil works too
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • Pinch of ground cloves
  • Pinch of ground ginger
  • Sea salt to taste
  • green onions to garnish on top - trust me, the flavor combo is fantastic
1). Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a medium baking dish with cooking spray.
2). Peel and dice sweet potatoes and place in baking dish.
3). Mix sweet potatoes with the olive oil and spices. Toss to coat evenly.
4). Bake in the oven for about 45-55 minutes or until tender. Stir the potatoes once or twice during baking. Top with more cinnamon if desired.
5) Optional: the last 5-7 minutes, I turned on the broiler. I got impatient and was ready to eat.. this just added a bit of crispness to the outside, but you have to WATCH IT so you don't burn them!

No comments:

Post a Comment