Thursday, April 18, 2013

THE 5K :)

How sad is it that its almost an entire week after doing my first 5K and I'm JUST getting around to writing about it?? -- (Te be honest, I wanted to write about it the second I crossed the finish line... but as soon as I got home, all I wanted to do was take a nap lol)
Buuuuuuuuuut.... I did it! :)  


Here is a run (haha) down of the day....
- Get up WAY too early to drive to a place where there are 4,000 people that are way... way too happy about running. It was kind of nice that no one was grumpy though. Helped set the mood for a good day! It was beautiful outside and just slightly cool.

- Realize there are several hills on the course. (make note to check route next time to avoid hills)

- Runners are very careless with their little paper cups along the route. There were 2 water stations and people just toss the cups anywhere? Why?? Is littering suddenly ok if you're in a race? 

- Saw some blue bonnets.... The way to a Texan's heart..... gotta love them! People were actually stopping their run to take pictures in the blue bonnets.... makes me happy lol Its a Texan thing!

- Also saw some people who maybe shouldn't be spending so much time on pinterest.... wow, right? surely that isn't what she meant to do?? ...yikes!

 Ok... back to being serious.....
-My original goal when I decided I wanted to do a 5K, was to run the whole thing.... that didn't happen :( boo!... I got off track on my 8 week training and the app I bought only worked half the time. But I didn't let it stop me from participating... I still went. I ran the first 1/2 mile or so and kept up a steady (walking pace) the rest of the way. I completed the race with a time of just over an hour :) I don't care what you 'career runners' say... I'm telling myself that is a really good time and I'm happy with it! See how happy I am at the finish line?!? :D (caption should read... 'yay! lets go get ice cream!')
If you are not familiar with Blue Bell... (shame on you for not living in Texas lol) Its THE BEST ice cream in the world.... I realize doing a 5K and then eating ice cream is kind of counter productive, but hey... you get inspiration to exercise where you can, right? At the end of this lovely 5K was a HUGE blue bell truck with all you can eat ice cream. A worthy reward for hoofin' it up all those hills. 

This girl didn't sign up for this particular 5K for no reason... I knew what I was doing :) (above is my sister and I... and our 'loot'. FYI: We both had our jogging strollers and the kids with us... they ate some of the ice cream I'm holding! My daddy also did the 5K. I didn't finish all that ice cream myself!

I had a good time... I don't really see the draw to keep running these things all the time, but I wouldn't mind doing another one sometime. I mostly just feel really accomplished at setting a goal waaaaaay outside of my comfort zone and then pushing myself to complete it. now.... I just need to figure out what my next self challenge is going to be.... 

Goodnight, my friends. Thank you for your continual love, support and encouragement. <3









1 comment: